Sunday, September 21, 2008

How much is too much for a onesie?

As I had mentoned, it's baby season. So I am busy buying gifts to prepare for the arrival of the little angels. 

Side note: There are more children's specialty stores in Brooklyn than Starbucks in Manhattan... which is weird. We have a 1 to 3 Starbucks to kids store ratio here in Dumbo. This is interesting I think, considering the number of square blocks that makes up the Dumbo area. 

Anyhow, I set out to purchase the handy 'Brooklyn' logoed bibs for a few of the expected peanuts. The little store that I had previously purchased these at was out of them the last time I visited, so I had purchased a t-shirt instead. I felt like enough time had passed since my last visit, so there must have been a replenishment shipment by now. Nope. All out. The fall colors were not ideal, but the onesies were cute enough. With that being said, I grabbed two '3 to 6 month' onesies and headed for checkout. $53.00!!!!! What the? Who decided that was an appropriate price? I was kind of caught off guard, so I just paid and split. Not at all comfortable with my purchase. If memory serves me correctly... the bib was $8.00, the t-shirt $12.00 and the onesie is what? 

Just about two months ago, my friend Jenny and I were on a road trip together comparing gift list notes. She mentioned the $50.00 onesies that were draining her bank account. I gave her the business about that being way too much to spend on a onesie that was going to be covered in all sorts of baby juices and there were more efficient ways to spend $50.00 on a baby gift. (Examples to follow). Well Miss Jenny, they got me! Hook line and sinker! There is a reason for gift registries. I have only recently stopped trying to think outside the box for wedding gifts and just get what the couple ordered. Maybe I should use the same tactic for baby gifts.

My go to baby gift:
The hooded towel wrap- characters or monogramed, can be found at Pottery Barn Kids, The Land of Nod and other fine baby stores! The prices should be no more that $22-$24 before monograming, shipping, etc. Totally useful and a great price value relationship. Throw in a washcloth or two if you want to spend a little more. 

Baby gifts for college friends: 
The school store has everything you need to outfit the babes for their first homecoming! The bibs and socks are my favorite. The clothing tend to not have a great hand, but check out the fabric content before purchasing. The shrinking can be pretty severe if they use cheap goods.

Your best girlfriend or your sister is having a little girl gift:
There is only one book... "This little piggy goes to Prada!". Pair (no pun intended) with a box of Trumpette Maryjane socks! The Trumpette socks are sold all over the place and they are made for boys and girls in sneaks, cowboy boots, ballet slippers, polka dots, etc. They even make tights! 
www.tumpette.com

A gift I have not yet sent, but love:
The personalized baby block. www.memoriesandmilestones.net.

If you want more ideas, just ask!




No comments: