Sunday, October 26, 2008

If you build it, they WILL come...


We have only been living in Brooklyn for a little over a year now and with the state of the economic world right now... there still continues to be a steady flow of residential and commercial construction. This past summer Brooklyn welcomed its first IKEA. A mecca for affordable furniture and housewares. This location opened in August 4.2 miles from my apartment. I waited 2 months to be sure everyone had gotten their maiden voyage out of the way before I made mine. People waited in line for several days waiting for the grand opening in order to be awarded one of the 400 free couches that were being given away to celebrate the arrival of this marvelous store. Located in a quiet area called Red Hook, with lovely views of the Jersey waterfront... this IKEA location is mint. It is a delightful shopping experience. If you do not have a car... there is a ferry from lower Manhattan and there are shuttle buses from the subway stops in the Brooklyn area. I drove. Since most people do not have cars, parking at this location was a dream. I parked by the front door! Unheard of at any other IKEA location if you are not there before the doors open. Inside... clean, organized and typical of any other IKEA... except that it was a Friday afternoon and there was no one there. 

The marketplace is by far one of my favorite shopping parades. You either go at this alone or go with someone who enjoys it just as much or more than you do. I got lucky this time. My neighbor is also a fan and was equally excited and content to meander the paths of the marketplace with no time constraints and with no irritated husband along side. SIDE NOTE: This is no place for husbands/boyfriends/partners/etc.... ever. This should be a women's only place and there should just be plenty of strong help around for the lifting should it be needed for the heavy stuff. 

So, what did I get? I am always wishing I had a few house gifts around for when we are going to visit people and I don't want to show up with a bottle of wine or empty handed. For 99 cents I stocked up on some great printed cocktail napkins. These are always great to give anyone. People like pretty napkins and they use them. IKEA has really stepped up there baby and kids section. For $2.99 I got 2 sets of 10 finger puppets. (Yes, I still owe baby gifts!). They have great bibs, stuffed animals, cups/bowls/cutlery, toys, etc. Really great prices too. I was impressed and will be going back for there for the kids stuff. 

I am cooking my first Thanksgiving this year, so I needed some trivets: 3 pack of cork trivets for $2.99! The turkey fork was $14.00... that's fine considering it's out first turkey. I needed a reading lamp for my side of the bed... $12.00. Seat cushions for the chairs at our dining room table were $5.00 each.

A trip to IKEA should occur once every few months I think. If I go anymore than that I could see myself coming home with things that are really unnecessary. I find myself "loving" everything and having no idea what I would be using it for. Everything is very clever, but not always what I need. I found a lot that I did need and that I was looking for. I came home with very little that was useless... so once every few months, I will allow myself to journey over to 'Southern Brooklyn'... and sashay through the aisles of Swedish creativity. Additionally, in an effort to 'Go Green', IKEA no longer offers plastic bags to package up your purchases in at the register. You either load your stuff into the car as is or BYOB! Bring your own Bag! You can, of course, purchase their familiar blue bags for 59 cents at the register... just remember to bring with you the next time you come... BYOBB!

1 comment:

ELE said...

I went there twice yesterday (long story)and did great. They have so much good stuff and the staff is very helpful. You could really make your exercise routine simply walking around that store a few times a day. It is a workout!
For $78 I got: 2 lamps, a throw pillow, 3 rolls of wrapping paper, a small rug and liner and a few canisters. Unheard of.
The kids dept. is also great because all their toys are wood and made in Germany instead of China (no lead.) They also have those animal baby towels that PB sells for like $30 for $7.99.
Long live IKEA!